Introduction

Here I go again.  After taking last year off from big bike trips, I thought this one looked interesting.  A totally new part of the world for me.  A new (to me) company, although I know a few people who have been repeat guests with them.   The company is TDA Global Cycling.  It's a Canadian company but they do epic tours all over the world.  Their flagship ride is the Tour d'Afrique.  The trip I'm doing is called "Journey to the East", and is one of their easier trips.    

We cycle the length of South Korea from north to south and then fly over to Japan to cycle south to north through that country.  Big miles and lots of climbing, although a few more rest/tourist days than I've had on some tours.  I'm looking forward to being able to experience some of the culture along the way.  I'm always a bit nervous about whether I've bitten off too much, but so far I always manage.  I think I've reached the point in life where I'm OK if I have to climb in the van from time to time.  

It's now April 6th and we're still getting snow on a regular basis.  I've been outside for exactly one ride.  I'm heading to BC next week for a few days to try to get some longish rides in before I head overseas.  April 25th update - more snow overnight.....  It's now the 27th of April.  Forecast for tomorrow morning here is -13C.  Forecast for the first day of riding out of Seoul is 30C.    Those 5 BC rides are going to have to be my training.  

I ran through some numbers last week:

28 riders.  16 men, 12 women.  4 Canadians, 12 Americans, 5 Aussies, 3 Brits, 1 each from France, Denmark, Germany, and the Netherlands.  Ten rookies; 18 who have travelled with TDA before.

It looks like there are 4 or 5 couples.  The rest (I'm guessing) are solo travellers.

29 days of riding.  2618 total km.  Average 90 km/day.  Range 50 - 140.  Twelve days over 100 km.  40,924 m of climbing (134,265 feet).  Average 1411 m /day (4630 feet).  Range 516 m - 2403 m (7884 feet).  Fifteen days over 1500 m (4,921 feet).  YIKES!!  I might be seeing the inside of the van on more than a few days.  Interesting to note that the itinerary has been updated since I first ran these numbers.  Total mileage is down a bit, but climbing is waaay up; what????

Korea:  6 days of riding.  636 total km.  Average 106 km/day.  6644 m of climbing (21,798 feet).  Average 1107 m / day (3632 feet). 

Japan:  23 days of riding.  1982 total km.  Average 86 km/day.  34,280 m of climbing (112,467 feet).  Average 1490 m /day (4888 feet).



I haven't had a chance to do any research/prep on the countries, so everything will be a surprise.  Oh - the advantages of going with a tour company that has everything figured out in advance.  

Starting to get nervous about what I've signed up for!!  Oh - and hearing in the news that South Korea and Japan are being particularly hard hit with gas and jet fuel shortages.  Hope I get there (and back)!

As far as this blog goes......  I still have three from last year that I haven't finished off yet, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to keep this one going.  Also - they recommend not bringing a computer so don't know my technology yet.  But - among our 8 or 9 support staff is a "content creator".  The TDA Social Media Accounts are:

Instagram:  instagram.com/tdacycling

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/tdaglobalcycling

Strava:  www.strava.com/clubs/tdaglobalcycling

Apparently they also have their own youtube channel which can be accessed from their website or at:

www.youtube.com/@tdacycling

So - you should be able to follow us on one of those sites.  

Wish me luck!!

Here's a last minute find at the dollar store that might just have to come with me.  Beginner chopsticks!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

May 2 & 3

May 4