Yeongdeok - Gyeongju
A decent-looking day out there. It was supposed to rain overnight, but I don't think it did. Some rain in the forecast later today.
In all the hotels we've stayed in to date, we have this safety gear. Apparently they are mandatory in order to help people self-rescue in case of fires or if all other exits become blocked for some reason.
We were off at the usual time this morning (about 8:30). It was a shorter and easier day than some, but I found it a bit of a struggle; still body-weary from the previous day(s) I suppose. Most of the day was along the coast and the rest was along a river. A mixture of conditions on both bike paths, bike routes, and roads. Early in the ride we were on a bike path facing traffic on a fairly busy road; different, but it seems to work.
Other conditions throughout the day....
 |
| Follow the blue line for the bike route. |
It started to rain at lunch. I had the rain jacket on for about 5km (thank goodness the temp dropped by about 10 degrees when the rain started). Then drizzle for a bit, so not many pictures until coming into our destination city.
It seems that there is artistic merit in just about everything - here even the fences along the road have a little bit of flair.
Fishermen repairing their nets.
Coastal views.
At about 10km this ship came into view.
The entire complex is a monument to the Jangsa Landing Operation of the Korean War in 1950. The story is too long to recount here, but the museum in the ship is amazing and the monument outside is very well done. Definitely worth the stop.
Back on the bikes, and off we went down the coast.
Not nearly as much agriculture today, but when we did see some it was of the lowland variety - rice paddies and crops growing in the rows of mounded soil.
The waterfront gradually transitioned from fishing activities to heavy industrial; probably near a big port.
We made our way into Pohang and its 'burbs. The population is about 500,000. Our route followed the waterfront and was really pretty - lots of gardens and public art. Pohang is also where we left the ocean and started to follow the river.
And of course........... park golf...........
Then - off to lunch - which I didn't get to until about 2 pm. I'm definitely on the slower end of the riders. I can blame it on the fact that I take lots of pics (but so do others), but I'm just slow....... The rain started during lunch, so the camera went away. Not much to report along that stretch. We were on a path beside the Hyeongsan River. It was dead flat with not a lot to look at. We went from pedalling beside wild areas to suddenly seeing towering high-rises on the horizon.
An easy pedal to end the day. Our accommodation tonight is at the Hwangnamgwan Hanok Hotel - a traditional Korean structure. It's beautiful.
The rooms open into a courtyard, and the beds are futons on the floor.
A bunch of us went for Korean BBQ for dinner. Oh so good!
We're eating so much that I sometimes feel like this after a meal. But then - I'm hungry again a few hours later.
The main walking street just around the corner from us comes alive at night. Lots of shops from ice cream to fuzzy toys. A few souvenir shops as well.
Another good day in the books............... Rest day tomorrow. Weather looks good for the rest of the week. Challenging day coming up on our way to Busan.
Stats for the Day:
Garmin: 88.02 km. 1804 feet up. 1685 feet down.
RWGPS: 89.7 km. 978m up. 945m down.
Gyeongju
Population: 260,000
AI summary: Gyeongju, known as Korea's "museum without walls", is a coastal city in North Gyeongsang Province. As the ancient capital of the Silla Kingdom (1st century BCE), it features UNESCO World Heritage sites, royal tombs, and temples. Key attractions include Bulguksa Temple, Seokguram Grotto, Daereungwon Tomb Complex, and Cheomseongdae observatory.
Comments
Post a Comment