May 14

Gyeongju - Busan


Today looked a bit hazy to start.  Humidity was 89% and the temperature did climb into the low 30s C.  So - warm.  Not uncomfortable, though, except when the sweat was dripping in my eyes during the climbs.  We were on a bit of a timeline today.  We needed to be at our finish point by 4:30 to catch a bus to take us the last 20km into the core of the city of Busan (Korea's second largest city).  Since there was a nasty hill at about 50K (the climb over the "Busan Alps", a few of us arranged to have the van shuttle us from about km 44 to 55.  By doing that, we missed the "big" hill - 5.5 km with an average grade of 8.1%.  Apparently there was a section in there about 15% average grade for a km, with pitches up to 21%.  I would still be out there walking it.............

Anyway.............  I stayed with the other van dwellers for the first 44 km; unusual for me since I like to ride on my own.  Consequently I didn't stop for pictures on that section.  It took a while to negotiate our way out of Gyeongju, then we were back in orchard country before heading to the hills.  We went through a few small towns on the way, but nothing really of note.  Here are the few pics that I have from that first section.  



We stopped at a convenience store for a pee break.  Alas - no toilet in the store, but there were public toilets in the building out back.


Dolly getting settled in for the ride up the big hill.  Kudos to all those riders who made it under their own steam!


Back to riding on my own once we got unloaded at the top, so more pictures once again.



Almost as steep coming down the other side.  Beautiful, though.  It was pretty much all downhill to lunch (about 15 km away).






Even the retaining walls here have an artistic flair.

Once back at a lower elevation, we started to see orchards and small-scale agriculture once again.


Shortly before lunch there was a short detour to the Seongbulsa Temple.  








After lunch we had about another 50km to our end point.  One climb, and then largely downhill then flat for the last 35 km.  A pesky headwind for a bit, but easy sailing other than that.  

Miscellaneous pics from the next section.






The last 35 km-ish was along the Nakdong River.  Beautiful (and increasingly busy) bike and walking path the whole way.











And, of course, lots & lots of Park Golf

I was impressed that the public toilets along the path were accessible.


Interesting-looking bridge in the distance.  Turns out we biked across it.





The "finish line" on Eulsukdo Island.



At that point they had a bus waiting for us and a truck to transport the bikes.  The 20km to our hotel took a little over an hour to drive (traffic!).  




Busan is certainly a bustling big city with a very busy port area.  





We arrived at the hotel about 6, retrieved and secured our bikes, cleaned up, and then headed out in different directions for dinner.  I had a nice meal in the hotel cafe, did some laundry, and suddenly it's time for bed again.  Tomorrow is a "rest day", but we need to box the bikes for the flight to Japan the next day.  


Stats for the Day:

Garmin:  111.0 km.  4196 feet up.  4183 feet down.  I bumped about 11 km in the van.  I missed a big downhill and an even bigger uphill.  I'm guessing the Garmin is the correct mileage that I rode, but I think it includes the climbing/descent that I missed.

RWGPS.  121.0 km.  1674 m up.  1709 m down.  Although I had the ride on "pause" for the van ride, it looks like it included it all.  BTW - the big climb that I didn't do was 418m.


Busan

Population:  3.3 million

AI summary:  Busan, South Korea's second-largest city is a vibrant coastal metropolis renowned for its scenic blend of mountains, temples, and beaches.  Acting as a key maritime logistics hub, it offers a relaxed alternative to Seoul with top attractions including Haeundae Beach, Gamcheon Cultural Village, Jagalchi Fish Market, and the seaside Haedong Yonggungsa Temple.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

May 2 & 3

May 4