May 21
Beppu - Matsuyama
Weather doesn’t look too bad out there…..
Looks like some high-level highways built into the mountainside. I always find it interesting that something like the new highway east of Golden gets such rave reviews as an engineering marvel, but when I travel there are soooo many more things that look a whole bunch more challenging to build.
We went as a group about 3 km to the ferry. About 23C and over 90% humidity; sticky, but no rain (yet). Ferry left about 9:45 and we have about a 3 hour trip. In addition to some seating and a premium lounge (which we were not privy to), there was lots of space to stretch out, lie down, etc.
A bit of drizzle when we got off the ferry, but not enough to put a jacket on; also waaaay too hot for that. We were quickly through the city of Yawatahama and then along the coast.
We went through a couple of tunnels. The second one was extremely long and I was so glad I was on the sidewalk; so much traffic, and no shoulder. Then it was a short climb on a quiet road and, voila, lunch at about 14 km.
Back to the coastal road until about 50 km. Nice ocean views while we passed through a number of small towns. Lots of industry and some fishing.
Saw this small shrine on a large rock just off-shore.
For the most part there was a blue line on the edge of the road that indicated this was a bike route. Periodically there was a sign painted telling how far to a destination.
At about 50 km into our ride, the route left the ocean and headed slightly inland, up and over our last little hill and into the city of Matsuyama. At about the same time as I turned inland, the rain started in earnest. But - it was kind of nice to cool down so no jacket. The temp was about 25C all day, but cooled down to just under 20C with the rain. It also got ominously dark; the rain had settled in for the day. We started through (what was probably) the outskirts of Matsuyama just as school was letting out. Dozens of kids in school uniforms, dressed identically right down to the backpacks, caps, umbrellas, and even raincoats. I had my camera tucked away but Sylvie captured this shot.
The route through Matsuyama to our hotel was very slow. I'm sure I hit every red light and was stuck in traffic for several cycles on multiple occasions. Finally - to the bike parking building (Cycling Monkey) - like a parkade, but only for bikes. It certainly looked like it was well used by the general public. Then across the street to the hotel. Drenched to the core, but glad for the coolness.
Rest day tomorrow!
Stats for the Day:
Garmin: 69.54 km. 1897 feet up. 1774 feet down. Probably lost some mileage while we were in the tunnels.
RWGPS: 159.1 km (including the ferry ride. 71.9 km of cycling). 1718m up. 1692m down. I'm sure the RWGPS recorded every wave it went over! We certainly did not climb that much on the bike.
Comments
Post a Comment