June 12
Kazuno - Aomori
Well, that was a rather fabulous day! Yet another big day of climbing, though. We exited the city through a Torri Gate.
Lots of agriculture, including a lot of orchards; apples, I believe.
Everywhere we've been in Japan, we constantly see people out weed-whacking the vegetation. Usually by hand, but today I also saw big machines in action (no photo). And in places - there were clean-up crews out cleaning up the mess. And, of course, someone to direct traffic around them.
And rice paddies, of course.
Nice setting for a town.
Apple village.
And the first climb is underway.
The first big climb today was 13 km, 450 m. Thank goodness much of it was in the shade.
The reward at the top of the climb was this fabulous view of Lake Towada.
Much clearer when I got there about 10:30 than when the lunch van got there at 9-ish.
Lake Towada is the largest caldera lake on Honshu. It is 400 m above sea level and is famous for its crystalline blue waters, surrounding peaks, and the spectacular Oirase Gorge. It is Japan's 12th largest lake, and its 3rd deepest. When I first looked at it, it reminded me of Crater Lake in Oregon.
We continued to ride around it for about 13 km. But first - at about 39 km there was an amazing apple pie stop; soooo good!
At the pie shop I had taken my camera and left my handlebar bag open. Before I knew it, a raven (maybe a crow) had helped himself to my Nuun tube (only 1 table left) and a small tube of butt butter. Thankfully he left my power bank in there. Dangerous wildlife!
Cruise ship at the dock.
We haven't seen any bears (yet), and no a whole of monkeys. But - I saw this cute little Japanese red fox today before he scurried off into the forest.
And speaking of forests - they are soooo noisy with cicadas. I took a video today just to capture the sound; have to keep the volume turned down.
And onward around the lake. Lots of construction again today.
At about 50 km we entered the Oirase Gorge. Oh my! We rode through there for about 12 km. Amazing! And - a lot of tourists walking the paths beside the river. Maybe my favourite stretch of the trip so far. Pictures just don't do it justice.
Lunch at about 62 km. And then - a big climb. Thirteen km and almost 700 m. Ugh.... In the end it wasn't all that bad. Maybe I'm finally getting stronger........ Again - thankfully a lot of it was in the shade.
We ended up staying dry, but some of the frontrunners apparently got thoroughly drenched! There were still some puddles on the streets when we approached Aomori.
Dinner tonight was quite the event. A traditional Japanese meal and an open bar. Lots of singing and dancing.
Found a hospital on the way home. Cute sign...........
Travel day tomorrow. To our last island - Hokkaido. Then a rest day. Then the final push to Sapporo. Good night..........
Stats for the Day:
Garmin: 109.7 km. 5231 feet up. 5702 feet down.
RWGPS: 112.2 km. 1795 m up. 1926 m down.
That gorge did look beautiful!
ReplyDeleteHad cataract surgery on Thursday, June 11th. They did some reinforcement of some laser surgery I'd had many years ago, so I have an air bubble in my eye. It will dissipate, but it sure is annoying for now!!
Keep the pics coming -- loving them!!!