June 14
Hakkodate - Rest Day
Well, that was a pretty low-key day. A late-ish breakfast and then off to the Hakodate Morning Market. The market area spans about 4 city blocks . Products on sale included various types of fresh, frozen, and dried seafood (such as several types of crab, salmon, salmon eggs, and sea urchin), as well as fresh produce - melons, apples, peaches, corn, etc. Many restaurants can be found in the market area, offering fresh seafood breakfasts. I had just finished a huge buffet breakfast at the hotel, so didn't need to eat again. Vince offered to buy a few of us ice cream, though, so I did manage to get that down. Apparently this is one of the best fresh seafood markets in Japan. It was busy, but - oh my - so expensive!
Squid seemed to be a big thing here. Brought back memories of my snorkelling encounters last fall with 6-foot squids. These looked a lot more benign.
Then it was over to the Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse district. Hakodate Port was among the first Japanese ports to be opened to international trade towards the end of the feudal era. Several red brick warehouses from past trading days survive along the waterfront in the bag area and have been redeveloped into an atmospheric (aka touristy) shopping, dining, and entertainment complex. Lots of souvenir shops and jewellery shops; a bit too touristy for my liking. I have found the city here to be in a bit of decline, although they're really making an attempt at drawing in the tourists.
Out for a big bowl of ramen (late lunch) and back to the hotel. I didn't sleep well last night, so caught a few z's. Back on the bikes tomorrow for the last 5 days of riding into Sapporo. Just when it becomes a way of life, the finish line comes into sight. For me, it's been a physically hard tour; getting older, I guess. I seem to be starting to come down with a cold. Hope it doesn't develop into much. Maybe a trip to the onsen is in order tonight. Some of the other folks are starting to have some physical issues - a couple of back problems, some foot issues, and a more serious cardiac issue. Some of the hazards, I suppose, of pushing these not-so-young bodies hard day after day. Overall, though, everyone is holding up quite well.
I did go to the onsen...... I had the big pool to myself and watched a beautiful sunset. Then chatted with a few others in the 13th floor lounge; great views over the city and up to the observatory where we were last night.
Comments
Post a Comment