Lake Toya - Lake Shikotsu
It really is a shame we couldn't have spent a rest day here. A beautiful day in the neighbourhood, although a bit misty to start out. It was warm to start (about 20C first thing), and got up into the 30s C during our morning climbs. Sweat management....... The first picture is from our room. The first 6km was very flat and along the lake.


Sam had made the decision that everyone would be shuttled by van from lunch at 37 to a drop-off location at 61 km. Heavy traffic, uneven pavement, no shoulder, and dangerous tunnels were all considerations. No argument here. Of the 27 km from 10 to 37, 12.5 of them were considered by RWGPS to be parts of "climbs"; ugh. We have 3 vans on the road and all can hold 4-5 passengers and bikes. We have 28 riders and each return shuttle drive probably takes about an hour. Do the math, and the riders at the tail-end might have to wait a while. I got lucky and got ahead of a couple of packs that I'm usually behind, so I got a seat in the second van. I was at the lunch spot by about 10:30. Not exactly starving yet, so it was a relatively quick lunch. A few pics from the part of the ride before lunch.
Lots of lupines the last couple of days. Apparently Hokkaido is known for them.
We had about 16 km left to go after the van shuttle. They certainly weren't difficult km, but neither were they particularly enjoyable. On a busy road with lots of truck traffic (or beside it on a bumpy sidewalk), then a bit of gravel, and a few quiet roads at the end. We caught glimpses of Lake Shikotsuko in places, which was nice. But - I was glad to be done by about 12:30.
To get off the main road at one point we were on an "unmaintained" road for a bit. You need to keep your wits about you.
And - into the hotel by about 12:30. Rooms weren't ready until 3, so time to wander the grounds a bit.
And a nice national park visitor centre.






This is Mount Eniwa, site of the downhill skiing at the 1972 Sapporo Olympics.
Back to the hotel to check-in and shower at the onsen. Then out into the garden gazebo for pizza, snacks, and the jersey ceremony. We each received our tour jersey presented by one of the crew. Sam presented mine, and had some very kind words to say; much appreciated. I suffered from imposter syndrome a lot during this trip and in the best way called me a badass. Maybe I really wasn't in over my head. Just on the slower end of the spectrum and I just have to get used to that.
After that we had a little game put together by Ine and Benjamin. Trying to guess fun facts about everyone. Then a slideshow put together by Arjuna. And finally - dinner. My eating habits are going to have to change when I get home!
Tomorrow is about 50 km. We'll box our bikes up and have a final dinner together before we all head our separate ways the following day.
Stats for the Day:
Garmin: 53.61 km. 2949 feet up. 2170 feet down.
RWGPS: 78.5 km. 1328 m up. 1120 m down.
In this case the Garmin is much more accurate. We shuttled 24 km in the van to avoid heavy traffic and unsafe tunnels. The RWGPS doesn't recognize that I didn't ride it all on the bike. Sure improved my average speed, though!
Lake Shikotsu
Lake Shikotsu is a pristine caldera lake within Hokkaido's Shikotsu-Toya National Park, renowned for its extreme depth (363m, 2nd deepest in Japan) and clear, deep-blue water. Located near Sapporo, it is a year-round destination offering hiking, kayaking, and hot springs.
Comments
Post a Comment