June 2
Tokyo - Rest Day
Once again, not a whole lot of resting in the "rest" day. I had already conceded that I'm not going to see everything there is to see in this huge city, so the plan was to join a "free walking tour" of Shinjuku at 11 for a few hours, then walk to some other sites in the area for a bit, and be back to the hotel before the typhoon was scheduled to blow in around dinnertime. Most of the group are out to a ballgame tonight, but I thought I would rather spend my time here seeing the more unique sights of the city.
Our walking tour left from Shinjuku Station, said to be the busiest railway station in the world by far. It is a hub for inter-city rail, commuter rail, and subway lines. BTW - there are 13 subway lines in Tokyo and over 200 stations. An average day sees about 3.6 million people pass through Shinjuku station. The entire above/underground complex has well over 200 exits. So - I left a bit of extra time to ensure I found the correct exit to meet the group. I must say, though, that the system is easy to negotiate and runs very efficiently.
This guy was going to work equipped to handle any potential standing water from the typhoon later today. Note the rubber boots.
While there don't seem to be nearly as many bikes in general use as some other cities we've been in, I did see this bike parking area on my way to the subway station this morning.
And this two-tiered car parking garage on my way back to the hotel.
I had a bit of time to kill so just wandered a bit.
Our guide was a bit late; seems he thought the storm was to arrive earlier and he was going to cancel the walk. Oh well - we finally got underway about 20 minutes late. He spoke excellent English and was very knowledgeable about the area. Shinjuku is one of Tokyo's most vibrant wards, functioning as a major commercial, business, and entertainment hub. It is famous for its towering skyscrapers, massive shopping districts, and neon-lit nightlife. The Tokyo air raids from May to August 1945 destroyed almost 90% of the buildings in the area. So - the buildings are mostly new since then. The 1960's saw big changes, with the beginning of skyscrapers being built. Some of the smaller alleyways and bar districts remain much as they were post-war. It was a real mix of sights in a relatively small area, from shrines, to modern skyscrapers, to seedy bars, and questionable entertainment. And - some parks on the fringes as well.
| This is the mascot of Shinjuku |
| Memory Lane |
Omoide Yokocho (often called "memory land") is a historic lantern-lit drinking alley in Shinjuku. It packs about 60 tiny, post-war era izakaya and yakitori shacks into a dense, smoky network of streets famous for cheap skewer, cold beer, and retro nostalgia. These bars typically only seat 5-8 people at the counter.
We went through the Kabukicho district. Here's what AI says about it: Kabukicho is Japan's most famous entertainment and red-light district. Often called the "Sleepless Town", it pulses with neon lights, thousands of restaurants, host/hostess clubs, and bars.
Godzilla is located atop the Shinjuku Toho Building. It was unveiled in 2015 and was placed there as part of the ad campaign for the 2016 film Shin Godzilla.
Next up - the Kabukicho Tower, a 48-storey skyscraper completed in 2023. It is Japan's 18th tallest building. We walked through a restaurant/entertainment area and went out onto a viewing deck on the 17th floor.
Ads for "Host Clubs"
Then onto the Golden Gai area. AI says........ "Golden Gai is a historic Tokyo nightlife district in Kabukicho, famous for its six narrow alleys packed with over 200 tiny, retro bars. It offers an authentic, nostalgic look at post-WWII Tokyo with seating for only 5 to 10 people per bar." Some interesting food and drink choices as well.
Can't say that I was the least bit tempted to go back to sample the nighlife.
Our last stop was the Hanazono Shrine. The shrine was founded in the mid-17th century, but was destroyed in WWII bombings and rebuilt in 1965. Only the lion-dogs at the entrance are original.
That was the end of the guided tour. There was a bike shop fairly close that was supposed to have a large selection of jerseys, so off I went. I didn't find anything that called my name and I really don't need any more jerseys. I hit another shop to pick up a blouse and then headed out for more sightseeing.
I was really done with people, neon, and so much blatant consumerism. So - the Meiji Jingu Shrine in the forest was a really nice change. The park itself is huge 170 acres, with 120,000 trees) and the shrine wasn't too busy. Nice... The original shrine was destroyed in WWII; the present iteration of the shrine was completed in 1958.
A brief stroll through part of Yoyogi Park, and then to the final stop of the day - Shibuya Crossing. Really?? One of the top "attractions" in Tokyo is a pedestrian street crossing, billed as the world's busiest pedestrian crossing with as many as 3,000 people crossing during a single green light cycle. I really wasn't impressed, but took the picture (and video) anyway.
My patience will soooooo many people had run out, and it was time to head back to the hotel to (hopefully) beat the storm. Success - it was just starting to spit as I walked from the subway station. Now, several hours later - it has rained a bit, but not much so far. The forecast is now showing the worst to be early tomorrow morning, but then it should be done by 4 tomorrow afternoon.
Comments
Post a Comment