June 5

 Nasu - Aizuwakamatsu


Lots of (horizontal and vertical) ground to cover today, so an earlier start.  Breakfast at 6:30.  The forecast was for overcast skies and cooler temperatures.  I may have been one of the few happy with the cool.  We started at about 16C.  The lowest I saw was 10C, and we had everything in between.  Lots of climbing today, so I was thankful for the coolness to climb in.  We had a bit of drizzle after lunch, but nothing to gear up for.  


It was a pretty day, but I didn't stop for many pictures.  Much the same as other days in many places.  Lots of rice paddies (and a few other crops) throughout the day, the smell of livestock early in the day, a few small towns, some busier roads (early), some quiet narrow roads, and some unmaintained really quiet and small roads later in the day.  Also some wild land/forest areas.  In fact - the section we're entering now is called "Wild Japan".  

It took 30-40 km before we stopped seeing signs indicating that we were still in "Nasu".  Lots of rural properties.  Most with rice or other crops growing in all available space.  The overcast lighting made for some really pretty reflections in the water throughout the day.



One of the early quiet roads.


As with other days that we ride alongside rice paddies, we are accompanied by the constant sound (and usually sight) of running water.  This was an interesting installation where the water came down through a spiral turbine.  Apparently they use the agricultural water for power generation through this Dutch-made turbine.  



And I always thought Santa spent the off-season at the North Pole.  Apparently he's also here on a little vacation.


A few indications that it might snow a bit here in the winter.



Lots of bird calls as we rode through the forests............

Our morning road-side shrine.


The climbs before lunch were pretty gentle.  Lunch was at about 63 km.  There was this little bridge and bear warning sign pretty close.  Worth a look.  There is some angst among some riders in the group about encountering a bear.  Apparently we are in bear country, and Benjamin gave us a little talk on what to do should we encounter a bear.  One recommendation was to ride in groups of at least two.  Of course, I noted that and chose to continue riding on my own.  




We did make it briefly to the shores of Lake Inawashiro, but I'm sure the views would have been a bit more interesting with a bit of sunshine.  


And - looking inland..........


Another bear reminder..........


A very quiet road for much of the afternoon.


A brief stop at the Okitushina Shrine.








A beautiful forest stretch and then back to the lake again.



Rice paddies everywhere today.......  One group saw a huge drone spraying crops (not sure what type of crop).  The drone was so big that it had to be landed and transported on the back of a (small) flatbed truck.  


Our most challenging climb of the day was our last one.  I chose to walk one small section before seeing the windmills that indicated that we were close to the top.



The ride ended with a wonderful descent - about 8 km, good road and about a -4% grade.  

Our hotel tonight is huge!  But - the rooms are ryokan style.  I really do enjoy them much more than the western-style hotel rooms.  I had time to get to the onsen before dinner.  There was an outdoor pool which was nice; I find the indoor ones too hot to stay in for very long.  I think I could have napped in there for a while, but alas - rider meeting and dinner.  Ice cream on the buffet; life is good!


Stats for the Day:

Garmin:  115.6 km.  6209 feet up.  6141 feet down.

RWGPS:  118.1 km.  2447 m up.  2427 m down.



Aizuwakamatsu

Population:  120,000

AI Overview:  Aizuwakamatsu is a historically rich 'samurai city' in Fukushima Prefecture on Honshu Island, renowned for its 19th-century samurai heritage, traditional lacquerware, and premium sake.  Centred around the historic Tsuruga Castle (with distinctive red-tiled roofs), it offers attractions like the Byakkotai (White Tiger Force) grave site, Nanukamachi-dori Street, and scenic skiing/hiking at nearby Mount Bandai.  Aziu Bukeyashiki is the reconstructed residence of an Edo-era samurai family.  Nearby, a traditional teahouse sits in Oyakuen Medicinal Gardens.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

May 2 & 3

May 4